Thursday, February 02, 2006

Chimes of Freedom.


Far between the city sundown and midnight’s broken tones,
We ducked inside the doorway, thunder was crashing,
As majestic bells of bolts struck shadows in the sound,
Seeming to be the chimes of freedom flashing.
Flashing for the warriors whose strength is not to fight
Flashing for the refugees on their unarmed road of flight
And for each and every underdog soldier in the night,
We gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing.

--Bob Dylan


Thanks to the library of music on my laptop I’m able to listen now and then to some familiar songs, which often take on new meaning in this distant land.

This past weekend it was Bob Dylan, the album “No Direction Home,” which includes one of the best versions of “Chimes of Freedom” that I’ve heard. It keeps running through my head as I think about our refugees, the fighting that sent them here, and the hope that they have to return home soon to at least some sort of freedom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing picture and perfect song quote Louise. Worth any amount of text - tells the story perfectly. Hope all is well and you are not tiring at the one month mark! Keep up the fantastic work, I think of you all every day!
Ann

Anonymous said...

Hi Louise, hope all goes well. My best to all. Life has been hectic since return and now our disaster team is being deployed to New Orleans for Mardi Gras due to lack of medical facilities (no surprise). I'll unfortunately miss board meeting. I'm hoping for fund raiser in June. Will send you some potential dates. Busy gathering equipment, etc. Susan