Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Training Days.

It's been a busy week of training sessions at the ARC office in Kigali. The group that arrived Monday morning consisted of two Camp Managers, two IGP Coordinators, three Refugee Assistants, and a special volunteer who is working with us on skills training. I have had to do my best to carry on the training in French after establishing that it was the language understood and spoken by the most people. Fortunately I have been able to count on Theodore for a lot of help with interpreting, and the group has been very patient as I have searched for words and resorted to miming.

We have covered a number of topics related to the program and the teamwork has been terrific. Our big creative breakthrough came yesterday afternoon when we came up with the idea of holding an IGP "job fair" at Nyabiheke Camp to introduce the program to the camp population and familiarize the refugees with the wide range of income generating activities that they might want to undertake. I leave for the camp this afternoon, and getting this organized and implemented will keep me very busy for the next couple of weeks.

My colleague Dr. Susan Briggs arrived from Boston on Monday and she is eager to get to the field as well. She has tremendous energy and enthusiasm for the Income Generation Program and is also planning to assist at the Health Center.

Our internet connections at the house in the field are uncertain at best, but I will try to keep my journal up to date and add new postings when I am able. In the meantime, I would love to hear from you and hope that you are enjoying the story.

All my best,

Louise

No comments: