Saturday, January 21, 2006

And finally, Nyabiheke Camp.


And here is a photo of me with my IGP team--Louise, Riziki, and Christine. We are standing in front of our office in the camp where we will work together selecting groups, distributing grants, and providing business advice.

Yesterday after 10 days in country I finally arrived at Nyabiheke Camp, where I will be working for the next month or so to support the implementation of the Income Generation Program. Thanks to the efforts of the staff here, many groups have begun to form doing sewing, soap making and various forms of what they call "petit commerce." My role will be to help organize the selection of groups that are truly in need of our grants and can put them to use effectively, to support the staff in the selection and training of those groups, and to learn as much as I can from all of them about the work that they are doing.

The camp is a vibrant and exciting place and the refugees there seem to feel inspired to take responsibility for themselves. This is a great contrast to the culture of dependency that I have seen in other camps and it is very encouraging.

Thanks to all who are supporting this work. I wish that you could have been with me yesterday to be greeted by our groups and to see the difference that we make just by showing up. Bless you all.

No comments: