Saturday, January 28, 2006

Kiziba Homecoming.




It is hard to describe the feelings that I had as we came over the hill and saw Kiziba Camp in the distance, a sad but familiar sight that reminded me that while I was busy with my life these past six months since my last visit here these refugees were surviving day by day in a difficult and sometimes overwhelming struggle against poverty, dependence and despair.

At the same time I was very excited about seeing my friends from the IGP, the ones whose names I had learned, whose stories I had heard, and whose courage I had shared with my friends and supporters back home.

So here they are for you to meet, some of the people of Kiziba Camp--Tisay, Dancille, Charlotte and Jean Luc--who welcomed me back with warm greetings and many hugs and even a few tears. They are still there, they are still brave, and they are so very grateful that we have not forgotten them.

No comments: