Thursday, January 12, 2006

Pie in the sky.

Just as I was finishing my packing on Sunday back in Minnesota, I had a visit from my friend and Afton neighbor Anne Dimock. Anne is also a writer, and she's just published a book called "Humble Pie: Musings on what lies beneath the crust." In addition to two copies of the book, she sent me off to Africa with Crisco and Gold Medal Flour so that I could learn to bake pies in the third world.

Sleeping on airplanes has never been very easy for me, so as we flew endlessly towards the Equator through the night sky from Amsterdam I opened Anne's book and began to read. I closed the book as we were touching down in Nairobi, satisified with having savored every crumb of what I would describe in the most positive terms as "literary comfort food." I'd been feeling pretty far away from Minnesota and Anne's essays helped to shorten the distance.

So thank you, Anne, for this, and for your support of our work in Rwanda. I'll let you know how the pies turn out.

For those who don't know Anne and her work, I've posted a link to her website for you to follow.

No comments: