Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Key to Happiness.


One of the things that I learn--over and over again--from the refugees with whom I am fortunate enough to work in Rwanda is how much happiness can be found in the smallest things.

The man with the huge smile in this photo is the guard at the Health Center in Gihembe Camp, and he has been in that job for the three years that I have been working in that camp. He always greets me with a big smile and a thumbs up, his only ways of communicating as he is unable to speak.

Last year I gave the IGP team key rings from The Grand Hand Gallery, with red leather fobs embossed with the gallery's logo, a drawing of a hand. This seemed especially appropriate for a program that encourages people to do what they can to help themselves.

When I arrived back in Gihembe a couple of weeks ago I learned that the guard has wanted one of these key rings ever since he saw them last year, and who better to have one than the man with all of the keys?

So here we are, moments after I gave him not one but two key rings, one that clips to his belt and the other for his pocket. I don't know which of us is happier.

1 comment:

jessica darrow said...

Louise,
It has been wonderful to see photos of people I miss, and to see the women from the IGP at Nyabiheke with smiles on their faces. I particularly love the new IGP building! It is really too bad that we will pass each other coming and going, but I so appreciate what you accomplish every time you go to work with ARC.
Welcome home, bravo to you, and thank you for the stories and updates from Rwanda. (I cannot believe there is a solid road to Kiziba!)
Jessica