Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Weaving A New Tomorrow.







"They say that the tree of loving,
Shine on me again,
Grows on the bank of the river of suffering,
Shine on me again.

If only I could heal your sorrow,
Shine on me again,
I'd help you to find your new tomorrow,
Shine on me again.

Weave, weave, weave me the sunshine
Out of the falling rain.
Weave me the hope of a new tomorrow,
And fill my cup again."

--"Weave Me the Sunshine" by Peter Yarrow


The women whom you see here are refugees, from Kiziba Camp, who have spent the past three weeks in Kigali at the Gahaya Links workshop learning how to weave traditional Rwandan baskets.

These beautiful works of art are sold in the United States by Macy's Department Store through a project established by two Rwandan sisters, Joy Ndungutse and Janet Nkubana, to provide village women with the training that they need in order to make baskets of export quality.

When the training is finished the women will return to Kiziba Camp with a purchase order for baskets and the materials that they need in order to make them. In addition to producing baskets they will also train others, so that the activity can become well established in the camp.

Last week I had the opportunity to go to Gahaya Links to visit our groups. I found a warm welcome and many smiles on the faces of these women who are learning to weave a better future for themselves and their families.

No comments: