Monday, April 07, 2008

Time Marches On.

And I simply cannot believe that not only has the month of March come and gone, but a good chunk of the month of April as well. I'm grateful to have been able to extend my volunteer agreement to allow me to be here another couple of months, as there always seems to be more work to do.

Sorry not to have been a better correspondent these past few weeks, but I promise to post some updates with photos in the next few days.

Today is a holiday, one that begins a period of national mourning in Rwanda to remember the victims of the 1994 genocide. On a normal day I would hear voices, music, singing and the sounds of daily life rising up the hill from the houses below, but today even the birds are quiet.

If you have not seen the movie "Shooting Dogs" (released in the United States as "Beyond the Gates"), I can recommend it as a realistic, disturbing and important film about the Rwandan genocide. The film, which stars John Hurt as a Catholic priest who decides that one person can make a difference in the in the face of such evil, was shot on location here in Kigali, and many genocide survivors appeared in the film or were involved in some way in the production. I've posted a link to the film's website and I hope you'll take a look and pause to reflect.

No matter how many times the world says "never again," these things not only can still happen, but are happening today, this afternoon, to people no different than us except for the place in the world where they happened to be born.

No comments: